MEN'S SPECIAL SKINCARE NEEDS
Men's skin care shares many of the same basic principles underlying female skin care. There are, however, many subtle differences between male and female skin which can have significant effects on the choice of ideal products. More and more men are realizing the need to care for their skin, just as they care for the rest of their body and overall health. Skin care for men has definitely come into its own and continues to be a growing sector in the global personal care market.
How Does Men’s Skin Differ From Women’s?
- A man's skin is approximately 20% thicker than a woman's (due to higher levels of testosterone in the blood), and is typically firmer because it's richer in collagen and elastin.
- Men's skin tends to be much oilier (approximately 15%) because they have more active sebaceous glands.
- A man’s skin is also more prone to dehydration because of daily or regular shaving.
- In general, male skin has larger pores, a richer blood supply, and an increased tendency to "sweat”, which may require deeper cleansing daily.
- Men are less prone to wrinkling than women.
- The skin aging process is the same for men and women, but for men it occurs later. Just as for women, men can prevent and correct the signs of aging with appropriate skin care.
- Although men’s skin is more resistant to the effects of the sun and they are less likely to display the effects of sunburn, there is evidence demonstrating that they may experience more deep and permanent damage. A current hypothesis is that males may have fewer proteins designed to repair DNA damage. Regardless of the exact reasoning behind it, men do develop more squamous cell skin cancer.
TIPS FOR MEN'S SKINCARE
- Cleanse daily with a gentle cleanser. Foaming cleansers are ideal because they are more effective at removing oil from the skin. Avoid harsh soaps which can strip your skin and leave it producing even more oil!
- Exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation not only removes built up dead skin cells, but also helps prevent ingrown hairs and razor burn while shaving. In addition, skin care products work best when they can penetrate the skin instead of lying on top of dead skin that needs to be removed.
- Use a toner. This step is almost more important for men than for women due to larger pore size. Toners will help tighten pores which can help reduce oil on the skin.
- Use an oil-free moisturizer that will hydrate without a greasy feel.
- Shave carefully to avoid getting a shaving rash or any cuts on the face. Use a good shaving cream and try to shave with the grain to minimize irritation. Finish with a soothing after-shave balm or cream.
- Select products for specific concerns: acne, hypersensitivity, anti-aging, etc. Any gender-neutral products specially formulated for these concerns are appropriate for use.
- Protect skin from the sun with a broad spectrum UV sunscreen.
- And of course, follow a healthy diet, get enough rest, drink plenty of water, avoid excess drinking/smoking and stay out of the sun in peak daytime hours!
THE B. KAMINS SOLUTION
B. Kamins MALE line of products is a simple, effective program. These pharmaceutical grade, cutting-edge products specifically address the needs of men’s skin for optimal results.